Sunday, 24 February 2013

Flexible Learning & Teaching

25.2.13



Differences in teaching contexts:

 Polytechnic                                               Addiction Rehab

An assessment process is undertaken before admitting a student to a course of study, e.g. needs to have finished High School, an undergraduate etc.


No assessment for art & creativity is undertaken. The art & creativity class is compulsory no matter what previous skills a person has got.

Similar skill levels are in the same class: beginners, intermediate and advanced.                                                 


Entirely unpredictable skill levels. Some have blocks to art & creativity, others are open to explore and some are interested or have previous skills.


Students will stay for at least 1 term up to possibly 3 years.

Students will stay for anything from 1-8 weeks.


Students enrol to learn about a particular subject e.g. nursing.


Students are there to rehabilitate from addiction, not to learn about art & creativity.


Students with personal issues that interfere with their studies might be asked to re-apply at a later time.


All students at SH have issues. It is expected to integrate them in the facilitation process (up to an acceptable level).

Step by step program, course outline. Everyone has the same study material throughout the entire program with some flexibility of response.


No particular course outline but facilitation is based on an individual’s tendencies towards a particular medium or technique.


Expectation to achieve a certain standard (learning outcomes) to pass the subject.

Very flexible expectations on achievement. Participation is considered passing the subject.


Technology available: computer access on campus and/or at home, e-learning, adobe chat, moodle, videos, etc.


No technology available: access to computers, u-tube, internet (Google), videos, etc.


The writing I put above this table is not showing up when I look at the FL blog site so I'll write it below the table and see if that works so the table above should really be below the next paragraph (sigh !)......


25.2.13

I think I'll just give it a go and pop some thoughts I had in regards to FL on here and see what happens.

After listening to the Adobe Chat intro, which cut out completely at around 50 minutes and I haven't listened to the rest of it yet (the internet did weird things), I created a table of 'differences of teaching context'. Listening to 'thoughts of what is considered flexible learning/teaching' in other peoples contexts, I notices that what was addressed were different options of delivering (studying) a course. So I jotted this table down, which could be more in depth and needs to be considered a 'first impression':



Then I jotted down some thoughts on:

Learning objectives; FL / learning goals
Use this list as a guide to set your learning goals for this topic.
Define flexible learning in your context.
Explore principles and processes of flexible learning and teaching.
Investigate multiple dimensions of flexible learning.
Critique a variety of examples of existing flexible learning and teaching options.
Reflect on how the dimensions of flexible learning could be applied in your context.


Starting with defining flexible learning in my teaching context:

Define flexible learning in my context:

In my teaching context, flexibility is very much required on my part: Not only are the students regularly changing from week to week, due to new ones arriving weekly and others leaving (sometimes before finishing their 8 week program) but in the nearly two years I have worked there, the amount of time I teach has changed from 1 ½ hours to 2 hours to 1 hour compulsory and 1 hour optional. 
Students are also from all walks of life, their skills are very varied and so is their age (18-70+). 


I have tried different teaching strategies:

*    Prepare and teach one technique a week e.g. drawing, painting, plaster carving and so on. This was very much a 'lecturing/tutoring situation: 


Teacher centered teaching:


What happened with this was that the time available might not have been quite enough for some of the students to finish or get the most out of the exercise. 
At other times a student might have really taken a liking to it and wanted to continue and study the technique more in depth for the rest of their stay at Addiction Rehab. It felt wrong to get that student to practice another technique the following week (new lesson/different material/technique). 
Other students could have experienced supporting that person to continue with what they felt enthusiastic about, as possible favoritism from my part. No one ever complained about this but it was a thought, which crossed my mind.

*    In the following week there might have been a student who especially enjoyed an new technique so I ended up with two students pursuing their favourite, independent interests from the rest of the group.

*    In the meantime there were now new students from the last two weeks’ intake and some might have left, which means the group and myself adjusted to changing dynamics regularly.

*    It might also happen that one person pursuing their independent project was now getting interested in what I taught in that particular, latest class. This meant that his/her project was put on hold while exploring another technique.  


*    Suggesting to students that they might work on / or finish their project during the week was seldom taken up.


v  Another teaching strategy I explored was to have everyone choose their own project (project based learning) and I will help them with it as much as I can: 


Project based (learning by doing);


If I haven’t got the ‘know how’ I will research the  and learn with the student.

v  The problem with this was that some people really needed to be directed rather than have their own initiative. They might need a lot of suggestions and encouragement and even then it ended up a bit ‘sticky’ because they could not find the enthusiasm for anything.

v   At other times a student would start of as mentioned in the example described above and at some point experienced a ‘tuning in’ to their creativity they didn’t think they had, which also resulted in a sense of confidence in them-selves. 


Ø   At some point when I explored what might work the best or better, I observed ‘who was good at what’ or had previous experiences and I grouped people of similar interest with that person.


Constructivism:

I then put the 'first' person in charge of teaching their existing skills to the ones now in ‘his/her’ group, essentially putting the person with skills in the position of the facilitator. So far, all of these spontaneous ‘facilitators’ enjoyed their position and some proved quite the natural ‘teachers’.
One proved adept in stone carving and when he finished the program (after he facilitated the stone carving group) I asked the manager if it was possible for him to come in on Mondays and keep facilitating the stone carving group. This was approved and agreed upon by that person as well. Unfortunately there were glitches with transport so it never actually happened.


At a glance, this would add up to:
Teacher centered class; Project based learning; Learning from/through engaging with each other based on previous knowledge - Constructivism. Overall it is a very much Student centered environment.  

What really works best is a personalized facilitation approach. 

Some students simply blossom by daring to try something they thought of but never done before and during that process discover that they are having a lot of fun too. 

Others just stay more or less in their comfort zone e.g. doing something they've done before, building on that knowledge and branching out from there; 

A few decide to do one project for 8 weeks, like painting a few stones in every class or making cards. 

Luckily there aren't many who are totally resistant and will simply bore themselves in Art class because they are not really willing to try anything I suggest. 

Some are saved from that by encouragement from their fellow students: 
One young lady who is back after leaving the program early last time and at the time chose to do coloring in, got together with 3 other students who were also coloring in prepared images - but - these were A3 size and individual sheets. That particular young lady chose a Cinderella picture. I asked her in the second class how it was going and she mentioned that she didn't manage to get one section as she wanted it (e.g. too many color pencil lines showing 2 directions). I mentioned that she could try to do more cross hatching as that will then balance the effect. I thought afterwards that well - she did learn something through this, showed some interest in what she was doing and in the end she cut the figure out - obviously she was planning to do something with it afterwards. I am looking forward to the next Art class to see where this project is heading to. 



In addition: 

From FL course module:


The design and flexibility of the learning environment is usually dependent on many factors. For example:

The philosophy of the teacher: 

For me, Art could really be anything we say or believe is 'Art'. If I look at some contemporary Art, nearly 'anything goes'. 
To me what really counts is Creativity, which is something I believe everyone has in some form or other, it just needs to be 'tapped into'. 


Some additional thoughts:

Most students turn up in Art class thinking they have to draw still lives and such - things they remember from their Art classes at school. It takes them a little bit of adjusting to realize that that is not what is expected - hence I call this class Art & Creativity class. I'd love to just call it Creativity class. 

A very repetitive phrase I hear literally from most people turning up the first time in class is: I'm not artistic; I'm not creative. For the first year I gently explained that 'everyone is creative in one way or an other'. After that it became predictable, so much so that I just about expected that 'phrase' to be part of their introduction. After 2 years now I'm getting to the point where I need to take a deep breath first, before I 'say my bit'. I am currently revising what other responses I could offer. 

I went through a similar process with the 'leaving paintbrushes in glasses of water'. I've written it on a piece of paper, which is pinned on the wall and is pointed out to every 'newcomer'. I also mention it regularly to a student or everyone if it's unclear who's paintbrushes are sitting in the glass of water (as it still happens regularly).

I then noticed that I got rather frustrated at the repetition and predictability of the 'paintbrush scenario'. I came up with the idea of delegating the Art room maintenance / responsibility to one senior student for one week and then hand it over to an other student for the next week and so on. That person is meant to keep an eye on the materials and the room in general as a 'supervisor' who doesn't clean up after others but points out to people that they have to 'do this or that' and be responsible Art material/room users. The art room gets used during the week as well, not only in Art class. So far, this new 'system' has worked really well and also encourages self-responsibility.



Capability of the teacher and students (includes skills and confidence):   

I gather the examples above give a good indication.

Overall, I feel very comfortable with my ability to find creative approaches or solutions to most project ideas. As I have been a creative person all my life, I have quite some years of very varied experiences to draw on. I feel very enthusiastic about sharing my creativity with my students and I also believe that any student has some ability to do something creative (within their abilities). 



Organisational (and governmental) priorities: 

The priority of the management at Addiction Rehab is: that the students enjoy Art class and that there is very little money spent on Art. Apart from that, there really aren't any other priorities which I have been told of.


Trends in education:

Mentioned in examples above.




Accessible technologies and subjects offered:

There are no accessible technologies - not even cell phones are allowed at Rehab. If someone wants to know something about a certain technique or subject, I will research at home, compile a Word doc, send it through to the secretary at Rehab, who will print it out for the next Art class. Or - for some small matters, the secretary at Rehab will look up and print out something, as long as it is straight forward. 




            
As to subjects offered: 

Above examples explain the more project related approach, within the limits of available materials. 









Answer to one of Bronwyn's questions: 


Thank you for your feedback Bronwyn.


Here are some thoughts about learning agreements:


I'm personally not so sure about learning agreements.

It puts the responsibility on the student to make an agreement about something he/she is about to learn.

How can there be a learning agreement drawn up by the student based on a lack of knowledge of the subject he's committing himself to learn a certain way? The subject has not yet been learned, so basically the student would be guessing more or less about what he is intending to do rather than making an informed choice based on actual knowing. Yes, there can be things like: I will research this or that; then I will be writing about it and hand in a draft by ......; following that, I will then pull all the information together and design a ...?....

The student is agreeing to a certain amount/style/etc of work but then might find out, that during the actual learning process (research?), the written up learning agreement doesn't fit anymore and hence restricts the 'natural flow of his/her learning process'.

What if a student discovers something more interesting in his research but still within the actual subject but that wont fit into the learning agreement he's signed? Or finds out that an other way to go about it would be ..... more fun?

Unfortunately a retrospective learning agreement doesn't exist (?) but probably would work much better for someone in the creative field.

Also if a learning agreement could be adjusted during the learning process to fit in better with the student (a step by step process; start with something (agree to) and progress from there, hence constructing a learning agreement), that might be experienced as too flexible by tutors?

Basically a learning agreement, even so it is drawn up by the student - still puts very firm (unmovable?) boundaries on 'what, when, how much and how to'.

The tutor will know the subject already - the student doesn't (is embarking to learn about it). Even so the student creating a learning agreement is most likely helped by the tutor, the student definitely knows less about what he's agreeing to than the tutor does (who's already got the subject knowledge).

An other question is, does the tutor need to work within a certain 'criteria within the subject' and if so, a learning agreement then doesn't offer a totally free choice or will not be tailored exclusively to the interests and enthusiasm of the student. If it would be, the tutor might experience having to move out of their knowledge base or even learn more or different aspects on the subject. True, a certain 'standard' has to be achieved, hours required to be spent on the subject for example - but is there flexibility in the approach to reach that 'standard'? 

Or - does the student actually end up putting more time and effort into 'his own creation' if left to do it 'his way' and if so - where would that outcome fit in? 

Overall - I'm sure there are many different ways to look at or to create learning agreements. I just wanted to put out some extra thoughts here. 

In a certain respect, I love teaching where I do, because I do not have to put limitations on student's chosen projects - except the 'givens': limited materials & safety considerations.
A lot of the learning for my students comes about by the 'doing' (experiential/project based) and through the process (constructing knowledge) resulting from the 'doing'. 

Not putting any learning agreements in place leaves the students free to change their mind about the project or process and take it in a different direction from where they originally thought they would be going with it. This happens quite a bit.

Not very often do these creative projects fail, as going about a project in this way (e.g. choose your materials, do something with them) seems to quite naturally engage the student's curiosity, enthusiasm and gets them exited. To begin with, this often happens without them actually noticing that that is exactly what is happening 'to them' because they are so 'involved'.

So what is happening here? The student discovers and experiences an enjoyment in learning something.

An example:
One particular student at the moment started off with choosing a thick mdf (medium density fibre) board, intending on creating a 'painting' to be hung up on the Rehab walls. Her process has been rather interesting to watch. She used the 'squeezy bottles' containing paint to squirt all over the board. This could potentially have been the end of that painting right there and then, but after looking at that, she used a sponge roller and spread the paints, which created a different effect.
Once that was dry, she randomly squirted white paint in places and put the board up vertically, so the paint dripped down (to a certain point). This again could have been the finished product.
After that was dry, she went straight for the sponge roller again and rolled paint over the whole lot of it, then squirted a white peace sign on that. This is as far as she got in the last class.
When I asked her what she thought of her project, she smiled and said that 'it is all about the process and the discovery of the material'.
I then pointed out that all the layers of her previous work were still visible, which will show the viewer the process of how this 'painting' was created and of course also that she used paint as the material and how that paint behaved throughout the progression of layers, e.g. how she applied them. She worked on the horizontal, which is visible on the layer of where the paint was 'dripping down', which shows the viewer the progress from her horizontal work and that, once she put the board into a vertical position, gravity then came into play before the paint dried. This shows the viewer that particular stage of the process.
I also mentioned to her that my 3rd year of Art & Creativity studies were pretty much all about just that: Process, Materiality and Horizontality (and Gravity).
She did look a little puzzled when I told her that :-)

So what would a learning agreement have looked like for her?
A possibility would be: 'I will take a board and some paint then 'play' with it and see what happens. I'll be finishing the project before I complete my 8 week program'.

I don't think that a learning agreement, as it would be generally understood at a Poly or Uni, would - or even could - look like the one mentioned above?

The wonderful thing to see is, that this student is one of the ones who firmly believed at the beginning that she wasn't 'creative' and now has found in herself a lot of enthusiasm for being creative, is having fun, which has resulted in a lot of growth in her creative confidence through doing what she has been doing for the last 5 weeks.

She is now really looking forward to Art & Creativity class and is one of the students who uses the art room every day during the week when she has some spare time.  

Apart from that, this student will be leaving her creative painting (board; size 60 x 60 cm) for the enjoyment of all the future residents coming through Rehab, which is in itself a rather courageous thing to do. They in turn can look at it and hopefully find some inspiration, hence this particular student is also involved in contributing to a social process.














6 comments:

  1. Jacqueline this is a really interesting and insightful discussion about the teaching context in which you are situated.

    I love the table of comparisons - you have a unique group to facilitate so it is helpful to see how the learning environment is different to mainstream education.

    It looks like you have a wonderful opportunity to personalise learning for the students - something that mainstream institutions strive to do or avoid because it is just too hard, and not regarded as cost-effective. With this opportunity comes challenges, as you say, challenges that arise because of the diversity inherent in your group. It appears that you have learned to 'play this diversity' to the advantage of the learners. I can't wait to hear more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1.3.13
    Hi Bronwyn
    Thank you so much for your comment – I really needed to see ‘something’ happening on this blog other than me putting some of my thoughts on here and I also really appreciate your feedback.
    Yes – ‘personalising learning for the students’ – that seems to be the only ‘way to go’ in my teaching context because, as you say - my students are so diverse!
    For me this means working out by asking questions (and encouraging theirs), their answers and then by what that person is ‘doing’ what works best for each student. Again, to me, creativity (and learning) is meant to be fun and not some form of torturous struggle. Saying that, I do expect some form of effort put into whatever the person is doing.
    Most of the time that seems to work, but with the ones who simply don’t want to be there, well – most of the time they leave the entire program not long after they’ve started it, something that I have ‘finally’ worked out. Problems in Art & Creativity class seem to indicate problems in the rest of the program. As I am not included in their overall meetings, I am usually left to my own sense of what is happening to work that one out.
    I have been wondering how a more personalised approach could fit in with teaching at a Polytechnic or Uni, where the teaching/learning context is much more structured but less so than – lets say - 20 years ago. A lot of this is partially due to technology and hence a more flexible delivery, making it possible to study ‘anywhere and anytime’.
    Some thoughts I had about making study options more flexible is being able to choose more individualised topics.
    When one of my daughters (studying social anthropology) looked at this year’s study options – she wasn’t drawn to any of the available topics. Some of the papers she was interested in she could only study on campus (she’s studying extramurally so that wasn’t an option). In her research she looked at most of the Unis and Polytechnics in New Zealand and found that some offered more interesting Social Anthropology papers than others. I don’t think it is possible to be enrolled in 3 ‘schools’ and end up with one’s BA in that chosen field?
    Saying that – this might be something to suggest ☺. After all – students who are interested in what they are studying are much more likely to be enthusiastic and because of that, are more likely to do well, hence any training establishment would want to support their students and collaborate with each other?
    If more individualised topics would be offered through one training establishment there possibly would have to be more tutors available in the same subject to cover the workload. That wouldn’t be such a bad thing, as it would offer employment to more tutors. After all one tutor couldn’t possibly cover that many variations of the same topic in depth and develop a course program, assessment methods and so on.
    Saying that, as I am covering all sorts of creative projects in my teaching context (Art & Creativity), I end up having to admit that I don’t know how this or that is done but then I research and as a consequence I learn more.

    When one student wanted to learn about flax weaving and I didn’t know how ‘it’s done’ but another student did, I handed over the next class to the person who knew. Making sure he had what he needed I left it up to him to teach, hence I was able to enjoy learning about flax weaving in the next class.
    I wonder how this would work at a Polytechnic or Uni having a student teach what they know (if they know something worth while contributing towards the subject) rather than the tutor having to ‘know everything’.
    Then again staying within the course outline the tutor designed, there is no need to ‘know too much extra’ as here is the framework for what the students are meant to learn – nothing more or less - really. I guess this is also necessary to make sure there are certain boundaries as a subject could grow bigger and bigger and get out of hand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really appreciate the context in which you 'teach' Wouldn't it be great if we could do more handing over to students, and maybe we the 'lecturer' may feel too vulnerable to do this.so I think handing over in your situation is a great example of being flexible in yourself and learning alongside of your students. I am quite convinced that in some areas the students (wherever than present) as in rehab can and do know more. In my case nursing their academic learning is way more up to date than mine. ( I can't remember the last time I had to do a drug calculation) But as you point out where are the boundaries on a subject at any given point of time. I think we are facilitators of learning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lorraine

    Thank you for your comment I really appreciate it :-)

    Yes - more handing over to the students is a great idea. I guess this would challenge the 'traditional' dynamic of lecturer/student a bit but might be fun and encourages deep learning (on both sides).

    My younger daughter is in her 3rd year of nursing studies. When she talks about it, I can hear that there are subjects or questions which won't be taught or answered because they are not part of the course outline.

    Wouldn't it be great if there could be a regular slot where students have the opportunity to ask about 'other things' but related to nursing like: how does homeopathy fit into today's health system?

    Or - often 'alternative' health professionals end up studying nursing and they could present their knowledge, making a regular 'slot' available for this kind of thing.
    A friend of mine is a cranial sacral therapist and she is now studying nursing, so are a few massage therapist I know and they would have health related knowledge to share.
    There is also a nurse I've met who did her PhD thesis on research about ginger compresses and it's beneficial affect on osteoarthritis. http://www.ratohealth.com/#!tessa/cmqu
    Tessa might even be interested in giving the odd talk :-)

    When I mentioned this person to my daughter she nearly rolled her eyes but was nevertheless impressed that anyone 'was allowed' to do a PhD on ginger compresses (over the kidneys) and there was some interest/curiosity on her part as well.

    I gather the general idea is to 'get the basics across to the students' during the 3 years and then they can specialize/expand through post grad/masters/PhD's but I think even the BA nursing program could include a bit more flexibility in what is offered or can be chosen as a subject.

    Saying that, when I look at my own teaching context: To get - say - some more A3 paper, I need to put a request through with the secretary who needs to get this approved by the manager, then it goes for approval to the DHB, then back to the secretary, then to the paper supplier, back to the DHB to pay for it, back to supplier to be informed that now delivery can be done!... We'll get the paper for art class after about 3 weeks from the time of request......





    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jacqueline
    I really like your suggestion to have more personalised learning at universities and polytechnics. As you mention, the cost-effectiveness of this approach is probably what prevents it begin done. Think about the university tendency to ave huge first year classes 300-400+ students in lectures.

    At Otago Polytechnic, a personalised approach is happening more and more, e.g., learning agreements and negotiated assessments are used in our teacher education programme. Also, CapableNZ facilitates the achievement of qualifications through an Assessing of prior Experience and learning process which is very successful. There are moves afoot to do more of this through CapableNZ, and to put more academic mentoring in place for learners. For example, this is the approach taken by two new qualifications - Masters in Professional Practice and Graduate Diploma in Professional Practice.

    I think our CE would also like to see more learning agreements and mentored learning used in mainstream programmes as well with learners 'picking and mixing' courses to build a custom qualification. Does this sound appealing to you?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for your feedback Bronwyn
    I just realized, once again, that my answer to your question is way too long and I have to add it to the actual end of this blog post.

    ReplyDelete