Sunday, 11 August 2013

Design Overview




Part 1


In this section, I will address: 

1) What are my learners needs?
2) Implementing this knowledge, how could this process look like?
3) Underlying Teaching Philosophy.
4) Assessment as part of the process.


1) What are my learners needs? 

Most students will tell me in their first Art & Creativity class that they 'are not creative/artistic at all'.

This tells me that:

a) their previous creative/artistic experiences have probably not been that positive;
b) their previous experiences have not inspired confidence in their creative abilities but caused the opposite - a lack of confidence;


Based on this information, I have looked at what could be the most helpful approach to my students' learning:

Avoiding stress and anxiety is on top of the list. 

Giving the students a choice means that their project can be as complicated or as simple as they feel comfortable with. 

Encouragement will be given to build on their existing knowledge.

Students will receive personalized support throughout the process.




2) Implementing this knowledge and how could this process look like? 























3) Teaching Philosophy


If students don't know where to start, I might ask questions like: What is the material you might like to explore? Do you like 2D or 3D more? Would you like to try this or that? Questions might awaken curiosity.

I then often encourage the student to 'play' with their chosen materials, to see what happens.

Play starts a process of exploring. The student might discover what works and what doesn't.

The student might find a direction to work towards.

Once that direction is found, it's time to find a purpose.

Hopefully the student will enjoy the learning process.



4) Assessment as part of the process
























To add to the above: 
During my research, I found this picture as part of a blog post, which addresses: 'Qualities Not Measured By Most Tests'.

In the observational assessments part, I find it important to notice these qualities in my students within my teaching context:



Character Education: The Secret Benefit of Edtech and Media Literacy, (August 15, 2012).
Sourced from: 



Part 2

In this part, I will address: 

1) A design matrix.
2) A brief look at student and tutor support available.


1) Design Matrix: 

The questions posed in Bronwyn Heagarty's Design Matrix (2006) formed the basis for my design.

These are: 
Learning:
What type of learning model am I using?
Content:
What format and how will content be presented?
Activities:
How will activities enhance learning? What form will they take?
Communication:
How will you interact with students and encourage them to talk to each other?
Assessment:
How will the assessment meet the learning outcomes? How much and what kind of assessment?


































Bronwyn Heagarty, (2006), Design Matrix:
Sourced from:




2) Student and tutor support: 



























Part 3

I will very briefly explore the three pedagogical approaches mentioned in the above 'design overview table', using a practical example:

1) Project based.

2) Experiential learning: through play, encouraging creative experimentation, curiosity and enthusiasm for learning. This can encourage Metacognition.

3) Contructivism.


How is this presented:
I did create a very basic Power Point presentation, simply to have 'a go at it'.
I saved it in many different formats, but I am unable to upload it. Due to this fact, I separated out the individual pictures and posted them on here. As a consequence, the formatting is slightly inconsistent.

What is it about: 
Using a practical example of one of my own creative experiments with paint as the material, this very simple presentation will give a small insight of how I like to encourage my students to learn and what the result of this could be. Hopefully this will show what can be learned by:

- Choosing a project - in this case, using the material of paint to explore 'what happens when...'.
- Experiment (play) with this material (experiential process).
- Construct on existing knowledge of the material of paint, while gaining more knowledge through 'doing' (something).

The simple brief would say: experiment (play) with paint and see what happens during the process. Then analyze 'what happened'.

This is an additional look at my design overview, using a practical example and connects with my 'Teaching Philosophy'.


Content : 
1) Title and picture
2) Youtube video to watch (4+ min)
3) What is the video about
4) Questions about the process
5) Answer 1
6) Answer 2
7) Answer 3
8) Conclusion














 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metacognition




The paint experiment shown in the video and the above points made could be analyzed in a lot more depth but basically, this paint experiment video is based on: project based learning, experimental process and building upon previous knowledge with paint. Through this process, more knowledge is gained. 

What I find interesting is, that learning from 'practice about theory' is a very different way of learning then when learning from 'theory about practice'. 

Observing my students for quite some time now, I have noticed that this project based, experiential and building on their previous knowledge strategy actually seems to work quite well for them, generally keeping anxiety levels low.



Part 4

How do the learning models in my overview of design support flexible learning and teaching? 

Project based learning is flexible in itself, as the chosen projects can be very diverse. 
Experiential learning is also very diverse, based on the individual students' preferences of 'how to do things'. 
Building on previous knowledge is as diverse as the projects and the students themselves. 

All the above require flexibility due to a lack of predictability. 


Part 5

Sustainability:

Is project based, experiential learning and constructivism sustainable for the student and the facilitator?

I believe that this is the case in my teaching context. The above 'formula' is a learner centered, individualized process, accommodating all skill levels, cultural and vocational backgrounds. 

For the facilitator: Even so it is unpredictable what projects my students will choose, it is nevertheless sustainable for me as the facilitator, because of the creativity unfolding on many different levels. I find this very interesting.



Part 6

Learning objectives (goals) and learning outcomes:

Learning objectives (goals): 

As every student has their own, individual project, the overall goal is that each student will work creatively on their chosen project from the beginning to the end, and through this, will be learning new skills.  


Learning outcomes: 

Each student - after completing their project - will have increased their skill level and gained more confidence in their creative abilities through having worked on and completed their chosen project.


These learning objectives and outcomes could be a lot more detailed, although I would have to create individual objectives and outcomes, tailored to suit each student and their projects. 



Part 7

Summary: 

Taking my students' needs into consideration in my design overview: 

a) A combination of project based, experiential learning - based on previous knowledge - seems to be the most appropriate facilitating strategy for the Art & Creativity class within the context of the Addiction Rehabilitation Centre. 

b) Offering formative assessment regularly through conversation as well as using observational assessments about the student/project on my part, also seems to work as a strategy for assessment, without causing the students too much anxiety.

c) There is a lot of flexibility from the students' part (this is not your 'normal kind of Art class') as well as  on the facilitators side, based on this particular Art & Creativity class dynamic (unpredictability of projects as well as students).

d) It is sustainable, because there is a lot of 'freedom of choice' for the student, which decreases their anxiety. For me as the facilitator, I find that, supporting my students to find their creativity exiting and often very rewarding. 









Further reading: 


Calgery Board of Education. Key structures and tools to support Personalization of Learning, Area III 


              AISI, Promising Practice, February 13, 2011. www.cbe.ab.ca




Constructivism (learning theory) (2013). Sourced from:

             


Experiential learning (2013). Sourced from:





Greaney, M. & Ellis, J. (2005). Using the ADDIE model for effective pedagogical  
        
             

                interventions. Actes des Colloques de l'AQPC. 

              

                Retrieved from:
  http://www.cdc.qc.ca/actes_aqpc/2005/ellis_joanne_608.pdf



Halter, J. (n.d.). On Metacognition. Sourced from: 

             by:
             Julie Halter Graduate Student, SDSU Department of Educational Technology

            
             Link:

             Sourced from:



Kirk, K. (n.d.). Self-Efficacy: Helping Students To Believe In Themselves.

             Sourced from:

             http://serc.carleton.edu/NAGTWorshops/affective/efficacy/html

             Self-Efficacy: Helping Students Believe in Themselves.




Metacognition (2013). Sourced from:


  


 Project based learning (2013). Sourced from:


            


Schraw, G. (1998). Promoting general metacognitive awareness.

                Instructional Science, 26, 113-125.
 Schraw, G. and Dennison, R. 

                   

                S. (1994). Assessing metacognitive awareness. Contemporary 

                    

                Educational Psychology, 19, 460-475.




Student centered learning (2013). Sourced from:











17 comments:

  1. I will give feedback on each part separately. I think you could probably have done each part as a separate post though I can understand why you might want to keep it all together.

    Feedback on Part 1.
    This description of your learners' needs and your teaching philosophy and approach in the classroom is excellent.
    The diagram about characteristics that you cannot assess on a test really illustrates your points.

    Graduate profiles at Otago Polytechnic are adding more and more requirements like this though the design of the assessments do not always enable them to be measured.

    What other sort of assessments do you think could measure some of these characteristics? To answer this step back from your students and think of yourself as a learner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bronwyn

      Thank you so much for your feedback ! Much appreciated.

      I have thought about your question for a quite some time since yesterday and I think I might be at a loss as to how to answer it.

      Looking at myself as a learner: To start with, I wouldn't study anything I am not interested in (unlike my students, who have to attend Art class because it is a compulsory component of the overall course).
      Being interested in what I am learning brings out a lot of the characteristics shown in the diagram 'Qualities not measures by most tests'. So the question I would ask myself (as part of an assessment method): Is the student interested in what they are learning?

      If there is no interest, I am sure I wont find any of those characteristics. An absence of those characteristics probably is an assessment (indication) in itself too....

      I believe that there can be learning in everything but it does help if there is an interest in the subject.

      How do students react to feedback might be an other possibility to assess how enthusiastic (or some of the other characteristics) a student is about their learning.
      I personally find that getting feedback is really helpful and necessary and can encourage some of the characteristics mentioned above.
      A student who reacts defensively towards feedback might have low-selfesteem and find it difficult to hear any feedback without taking it as criticism. Or because of a lack of interest in the subject, the student doesn't want (or need) feedback because 'it's all a waste of time anyway'. Some students might negate feedback because 'they know better' - which in fact - sometimes my students do know better :-)

      To sum it up: Assessing if a student is interested in what they are learning could be an assessment method to measure some of those characteristics and noticing reaction to feedback could be part of this too?

      Any suggestions would be much appreciated Bronwyn, as I don't think I 'got this'...

      Delete
  2. Feedback on Part 2
    Great use of the design matrix - it looks like the students get some great support. A good idea including tutor support - opportunities for professional growth is an important part of developing your teaching philosophy.

    You may be interested in : Chism’s five components of a teaching statement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for that link Bronwyn.

      I remember I came across this in my research when I was writing the Teaching Philosophy for the LCL paper.

      I personally think that self-development is a must for me as a teacher. I am generally very interested in the 'human being' and how we relate to each other and why etc. There is so much learning about myself in facilitating this Art class. Reflecting on how the class went, what did I say and do and why and how did I feel about it and what was the students reaction and how can I improve myself to be the best possible facilitator (etc), is a big part of what I am doing. There are so many opportunities to improve my practice and myself as a person. I don't think that is something that ever stops. Doing this course has opened my eyes to quite a few things I didn't know or think of. I believe that regular professional development to increase self-awareness and skills is really important - so I won't get complacent.
      Saying that - I also had to accept that I can't please everyone and not everyone will like what I offer or who I am and I definitely don't know everything either. :-)

      Delete
    2. I just did two of the tests available (3rd link doesn't work on that site) and it was rather interesting - even surprising - as 'creativity' didn't score high at all:

      http://www.slideshare.net/jacquelinesiegenthaler/teaching-goalres

      I put a couple of thoughts (in red) under some of the results.

      Delete
  3. Feedback on part 3
    This presentation is really interesting. You can upload your presentation to a platform like Slideshare, and add the embed code to your blog. You will see it along the top (Email
    Like Save Embed) once the presentation is uploaded to Slideshare. You could also add audio separately.

    Re metacognition - how else could students develop this through doing creative projects? Hint: previously you have mentioned that you assist them to set goals for themselves - how do they monitor whether they are achieving these goals?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I am jinxed when it comes to trying out uploads with options like Slideshare, Moodle Book, Wiki, blogs etc etc. For some reason I don't seem to manage it (except this blog, which took many hours of frustrated attempts). I just tried Slideshare again and signed up through FB and agreed to them accessing my details etc then it said: Thanks but you can't upload etc....
      This might be the most frustrating fact about studying long distance for me and without peers where I work or fellow students around, I don't have someone who can show me how to do this kind of thing or have a technical support person available. Researching on Youtube and Internet seems to take me hours to find the right/current version for my Mac or what they show or mention doesn't actually work (and so on) with some things. I might also have an 'IT block', which is quite possible too. I wish there would be lovely links, which are provided through GCTLT and are all set up, so I can click on them and use things like Slideshare, blogs, Moodle Book, Wiki pages etc etc without going through the 'setting up' headaches. I know that dealing with these IT issues and setting things up for ones students is part of being a facilitator, but I think I am completely lacking in that skill.
      After this little expression of frustration, I will attempt to answer the question about metacognition later today :-)

      Delete
    2. Slideshare: I've just spend quite a few hours trying to work out Slideshare.
      This is as far as I got, with the second link being the 'embed-ed' one. Not that I am able to just click on it in this post, but I'll have to copy and past either of them into the browser. Then it seems to link.....

      This Word doc is my Teaching Philosophy I've written for the LCL paper. I probably would write a slightly different one at this point in my studies....

      oops - it didn't let me publish this post with the second, embeded (very long) link saying: Your HTML cannot be accepted: Tag is not allowed: IFRAME

      So I deleted that one, leaving the only other option to see my uploaded TP:

      http://www.slideshare.net/jacquelinesiegenthaler/final-tph2

      Delete
    3. On Metacognition:

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metacognition

      Reading through the Wikipedia on metacognition (again) – I feel like putting the entire content into a box called: ‘Some of the processes observable when people do something’.

      I can see that metacognition doesn’t just apply when learning a subject, but can be observable in how we live daily life.
      I thought about your question Bronwyn and instead of stating more similar examples on project based learning, I will add something different, which is nevertheless a part of my overall teaching context and can encourage metacognition:
      In this example, I am looking at the Art room. What follows is the latest ‘Art room version’:
      The students are completely responsible for the art room and the materials. For example: I might mention that the art room looks like it is getting a little cluttered and I will inquire: does the group think it needs tidying?
      This will encourages the students to become aware of:
      - what they themselves contribute to the clutter;
      - what everyone else contributes;
      - that I am not the one running the art room or taking responsibility for maintaining it;
      - that unless they take responsibility – nothing will change;
      - they need to decide among themselves ‘who does what’;
      - discover in that process who resists contributing;
      - need to look at the materials to check which ones are running low;
      - discover what they prefer to do in this situation if they decide amongst themselves ‘who does what task’ – and so on.
      Metacognition as described in the Wikipedia seems to include: awareness/self-awareness, evaluation of moral/ethical rules; planning, monitoring, evaluation processes; knowledge about self and others; self-regulating; learner autonomy and interdependence etc.
      How did I get to the decision to ‘run’ the Art room like this?
      I became aware that sometimes, when a big cleanup has happened, a student might say: ‘We cleaned the Art room for you’.
      Well – they didn’t clean it for me but for themselves.
      There was also a tendency from some students to ‘just use things’ without much respect for the materials or the Art room.
      The responsibility is the students’ and there is a need to become aware of themselves and their environment, think about what they are doing or not doing, why, how and so on.



      Delete
    4. A good point - metacognition is integral to living an aware and thoughtful life. The key thing for you as a tutor is how you support them to develop these skills. Some people use metacognitive strategies in their teaching, e.g, learning agreements, journals.

      Do you students keep a record of the process they are undertaking when doing their projects? (I think we may already have discussed this.) For example a visual diary? Wouldn't it be great if your centre had resources to provide digital cameras so the students could keep a record through images of their projects, and compile their visual diary to keep as a memento of their time at the centre. This is a project in itself and would not suit everyone - but some people might like the idea especially if they had aspirations to enter art or design school. It could be a stepping stone to developing a portfolio to accompany their application. What are your thoughts on this?

      Delete
    5. Hi Bronwyn
      Yes you have mentioned this before :-) The digital camera is a great idea. I wouldn't even mind using my own digital camera for this but - all printing is done exclusively in black and white and that would not work for people and their painting projects for example. I don't think the DHB would agree to pay for me to go and get color copies done either. All copies in the folders I compiled of some research on suitable projects within the scope of available materials are in black and white and that's not doing some of them justice at all...

      Delete
  4. Feedback on Parts 4 - 7
    In these sections, you could link back to previous posts you have done on flexible learning and sustainability.

    it would be good to see some further development of these areas - project based, experiential learning and constructivism. You need to add something else in the Design overview - A short paragraph with references to the literature to explain why the theories of experiential learning and constructivism support support project-based learning in the design you are proposing.

    I take it that the design model you are following is Hegarty's design matrix - good one. You will notice that it is very similar to the Aria model of design.

    One thing that I would like you to do for the next part of the assessment - is think about a new strategy or activity that you could introduce to this group of students. What would you do that is practical yet exciting and different? For example, could you show short videos of art projects in class to get them motivated - perhaps things off the internet such as the paint example but with artists speaking? Could you invite guest speakers to come to visit to inspire the students?

    It is great to justify the approach you are already using but in this course, the intention is that new ideas will emerge. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have written up something on Part 5 & 6. I've uploaded the comments on Slideshare:

      Part 5:
      http://www.slideshare.net/jacquelinesiegenthaler/part-5cctel

      Part 6:
      http://www.slideshare.net/jacquelinesiegenthaler/learning-outcomes-4-cctel2

      Still pondering about: Part 4.

      As Part 7 is a summary - I don't think I'll re-summarise after looking at Parts 4/5/6.



      Delete
    2. You make an interesting point in your Part 5 slide presentation - about the relationship between a student and the tutor - sometimes you just cannot give every student specifically what each needs - it would not be sustainable when the collective needs of the group have to be considered. It illustrates the difference between a student who is new to doing any form of art - perhaps that student is more content to do any kind of project - and someone who has some experience as an artist and may already have goals for the learning they want to do so wants to have specific instruction.

      Is it your role to help them find the support they need, by introducing them to a suitable art tutor outside the centre?

      Delete
    3. It is not part of my role to find the students the support they need but I will offer suggestions, depending on what interests each student expresses.

      Some have ideas of doing something creative with their children so I might suggest activities which they could do without them costing much, like: instead of buying birthday/christmas/easter etc cards to make those or if someone is inclined to bake bread (just to use a random creative example), to shape little people or birds etc from the dough instead of 'just' putting the lot into a baking tin (etc etc).
      To others, which are interested in doing a basic Art course, I might suggest to inquire with their local Polytechnic for example, as often they have short Art courses.
      Some few want to be independent artists, so I might suggest (or print out info) on different ways to go about that one.
      Talking to the Visual Art & Design BA student and inquiring if she might be interested in doing a Masters, sparked some interest in her, because she didn't really know what she was going to do next.
      It really depends on where the student is at, what kind of information I will find out and pass on.
      Confidentiality is such a huge issue at Addiction Rehab that I wont be able to introduce people to any Art teachers.
      Also most students are from out of town and wont be taking up any study courses locally.

      Delete
  5. Part 4:
    Some additional thoughts in response to your suggestion.
    Uploaded on Slideshare. Again, the link works when copied and pasted into the browser:

    http://www.slideshare.net/jacquelinesiegenthaler/point-4cctel

    I hope this will complete Assessment 2? :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great work Jacqueline. Good to hear that you found John Dewey's work about art. Yes this completes assessment 2.

      Delete