Thursday, 5 September 2013

Summative: Development, implementation and evaluation plan.





Plan for development, implementation and evaluation

A lot about development, implementation and evaluation has already been described in my previous blog posts:

Analysis of learners: 

And in the design overview post:

Not much has changed or been added, except: an extra resource, the importance for a low stress environment and emphasis on the enjoyment of learning (all mentioned below).  





Development and Implementation plan

Summary of the planned approach for Art & Creativity class - an overview:


Comparing this graph to my previous design overview posts, I have added: low stress environment and enjoyment of the learning process. This has become one of my priorities.  

Also refer to my previous design overview blog posts:

1) What are my learners needs?


2) Implementing this knowledge and how could this process look like?





How will this plan for the Art & Creativity class at satisfy stakeholders’ diverse needs?


The graph below will also offer an insight into the background of the course / program:





I believe that the way the Art & Creativity class is conducted at the moment will satisfy all the involved stakeholders' needs. 



Justification for the strategies for delivering content, activities, communication/interaction and assessment:




Why project based learning works best in this context


I have reflected on the difference of project based / personalized teaching and guided classes in this context and found that the reasons, which justify this approach are:

a)          Due to the vast diversity of skills and cultural background, guided classes didn’t suite the majority of students. Some felt the guided classes were to ‘simple’ (comparing them with their experiences in Kindergarden), whereas others felt intimidated, because they were actually at a point of needing to learn how to use the materials (e.g. paintbrushes and paint).

b)         Some students really found a liking for what they were learning in one class and wanted to continue with this in the following classes. I could not discourage that. This meant though, that now I had one or more students happily exploring, with some new students arriving every week who needed guidance and others might have since thought of something they would like to explore.

Concluding  
Even so project based learning is not for everyone, it works best for most students within this context. 
It is also a fact that it is impossible to please everyone.

As to experiential learning and constructivism/social constructivism, please refer to:


(Includes references)



Added Resources: 
Creative Community Funding Scheme
Stone carving project


In addition to my blog post: 

Some of the resources are already mentioned in the matrix about: 'What materials will 
be utilized'. I have added a bit about a stone carving project, for which the funding 
was granted through the local Council's Creative Community Funding Scheme:


The time available to complete this project was 12 month, which was achieved at the end 
of September 2013.
Why I have made the proposal to the local Council is, because there is very little 
funding available for the Art & Creativity class. 

This could also be seen as a retrospective milestone / change in my course design. 



Evaluation Plan


Word doc uploaded on Slideshare:









7 comments:

  1. This is a good reflection. For this assessment, you will need to develop an actual plan. You can use the headings in the table for the Development and Implementation plan.

    May I suggest that you do this in a document either on Google docs - publish to the web via File. Or create a word document which you then upload to scribd or box.com then link to it on your blog.

    I can't remember if you have already mentioned this website about Experiential learning - experience-based learning - guide to facilitating effective experiential learning activities. It has a table comparing conventional training with experiential learning.

    I notice that you believe that guiding is more like teaching students and that facilitating is different to guiding. But can't a facilitator also guide students? A philosophical dilemma which will also have different viewpoints. A bit like the "what is the difference between teachign and facilitation?" Personally I think the teacher can teach (instruct), guide, and facilitate. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bronwyn
      Thank you for your feedback - very much appreciated !
      I have tried out box.com.
      I'll add a link(s) here for a Word doc I've written up, which I have thought of in regards to one of your comments about introducing something exciting.
      I guess this could just about be a little part towards Development and Implementation in regards to gaining and utilizing resources and how this might affect Stakeholders: a Community Funding Scheme through the local Council towards a stone carving project.

      Link:

      https://app.box.com/s/kypjaazj5pvdeztfr54z

      or embed code:

      https://app.box.com/file_embed_preview?embed_hash=rcbt0mq49pax1ph&width=466&height=400&color=FFFFFF

      Once again - as with Scribt.com - I have absolutely no idea why it doesn't show up 'blue' (so it can just be clicked on) like it does on the Word doc where I copied and pasted them, then c/p here doesn't go blue.... I gather once again - one or the other can be used to c/p into the browser, which seems to be the way it works (sigh!).....

      Delete

    2. About teach, guide & facilitate:
      I agree with what you say about the ‘teach, guide and facilitating’ dynamic.
      I had started to write a response and it all got a bit philosophical – also just as you mentioned that that could easily happen.
      In a nutshell, I gather that the ‘teach, guide and facilitate trio’ is often blending, without a clear-cut version of ‘only one or the other’.

      As to your link about the Experiential Learning (EL):
      http://www.businessballs.com/experiential_learning.htmm
      Martin Thompson’s www:
      http://www.mtalearning.com/
      Thank you!
      I felt exited reading Martin Thompson’s (MT) description of EL. It describes so well what is happening within my own context.

      I have used the Wikipedia as a reference for EL previously, but I haven’t come across MT.
      So far it has been an incredible journey throughout the GCTLT course, informing myself about the different learning theories and discovering what I am actually doing when I facilitate the way I do - especially within the context of Art & Creativity, which can be such a ‘loose’ subject anyway, as it is based on individual, creative freedom rather than having a particular topic, which would be taught within a fixed framework and with an expectation of a predetermined outcome.
      Now I want to put EL on top of my list of strategies, rather than say - Project Based Learning (PBL)- or any of the others ☺.
      Saying that, I can see that there is a ‘crossing over’ of different components within each teaching strategy: EL is hands-on – so can PBL be (within my context anyway). Both are student centered and flexible and so on……

      I was wondering, is there some information on assessing EL? I am still looking into this. One article was interesting:
      Assessment in experiential learning
      http://agsci.psu.edu/experiential-learning/evaluation


      Delete
  2. Since you have covered the other parts of the plan on a previous post, you need to link to it as the strategies for content, activities, interactions and assessment and support is outlined there: http://flexiblelearning13.blogspot.co.nz/2013/08/design-overview.html

    Since this the plan is not describing a new strategy then you don't need to include milestones and objectives - BUT - if you wanted to include my suggestion, where I commented on a previous post, about introducing the concept of a visual diary to encourage metacognition then you could include milestones and objectives and resourcing (e.g., digital cameras, colour printer, workbooks) for introducing that on here. It would be good to see development of a new strategy being introduced into your teaching and included in your plan.

    Is this an option? How will you evaluate the success of project-based approach, and the visual diary idea - if you include that? Once you have done that and written about it - on another post would be good, I will accept that you are finished - no need to create another presentation as the blog is a presentation in itself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I re-read my comment and don't think I was very clear. The evaluation plan for how you will evaluate the development and implementation would be best done on another post.

    If you want to include the visual diary strategy - outline it on this post (edit this post) and add in milestones and objectives and resourcing for doing that on here. I will understand if you don't want to include this strategy as it may not be feasible with this group.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jacqueline this link has one too many ls at the end. Should be: http://flexiblelearning13.blogspot.co.nz/2013/08/design-overview.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. This plan is now complete and all summative assessments done as your blog is ideal for presenting the summary of your plan. Your plan for project-based learning is very appropriate for the specific needs of students in your area of teaching. It is an innovative and flexible approach which you have clearly considered deeply and in detail. Your plan is exemplary.

    Your discussion is very interesting, weaving in learning theory, details about the diversity of the students, stakeholders' requirements and needs, and the challenges in working with this group of students. The evaluation approach is going to provide a lot of useful information, and you have covered all necessary aspects in the evaluation plan. I admire the way that you have responded so energetically and with curiosity to my feedback, extending your explorations to find answers. It has been a pleasure.

    I do hope that you will continue to keep a professional blog as I would love to follow it.

    ReplyDelete